Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Think Spring, Not Snow!


So, after a rather long hiatus due to having a baby the end of October, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas, then New Years', well, you know how it goes. My resolution is to blog more this year and since I received a new camera for Christmas I should be able to do a much better job of it.

As I sit in my nice warm cabin, heated by our amazing geothermal heat pump, with several feet of snow outside I am browsing through my Seeds of Change catalog I received in the mail today and thinking of spring! We have much to do to get our virgin land ready for cultivation. The Rocky Mountain soil needs a lot of amending to make it ideal for gardening. Particularly, it needs LOTS of organic matter. Many of our neighbors have horses and I'm hoping to beg lots of manure from them. I'm planning on getting a pig in the spring as well, provided I can get some kind of shelter in place by then. I've read that their rooting instinct makes them great at clearing land while spreading their own manure at the same time. The only problem with that is that I'm so anxious to get things growing, I don't know if I can wait another season. I want to do things properly though. Not like my strawberry patch at my last house. I put it in quickly without clearing the plot thoroughly and the grass grew back between all of my strawberry plants and eventually choked them out.

And deer. I'm pretty sure I need a deer fence out here if I actually want to keep anything growing. And I may need a windbreak too. Such a challenge this is going to be but I'm excited to take it on.

Here is a recent photo out my front door. I think it is just beautiful here!

1 comment:

Quinn said...

You know Reni, when we lived in the boonies in Montana growing up, there wasn't really a fence big enough to keep the deer out - they jump you know. We had dogs that were kept outside! They scared away the deer from the garden and the (get this) bears from our front porch-step. We had 5 acres and three big dogs. I would recommend something like a St. Bernice Mountain dog they are big opposing looking dogs, but VERY family friendly. Tyler and Jeffrey used to ride on the back of Luna like a horse and she never minded. Then if you crossed it with a German Shepard you'd have the perfect guard dog - I think.